Monday, October 27, 2008

...And We Are Off!

So....my husband and I have been complaining for years about how out of shape we both are compared to when we first met. Now, I have some readily available excuses...such as having children (two in the last three years) and aging (my metabolism isn't what it was when I was 20!) but we decided enough of the excuses and time to get in shape.

We had family in town two weekends ago, and one Scott's cousins was telling Scott and I about a program he and his girlfriend have been doing....P90X. Its by the same people that do Turbo Jam, and Slim in 6 (which sits, ahem, in my DVD cabinet gathering dust). Basically it is 12 workouts you alternate over a 90 day period. Once you determine what your fitness goals are (bulking up, slimming down) you work from a calendar of workouts specific to that goal. You work in three phases, each a month long. From what I understand, each workout is an hour long, and you do a workout 6 days a week, with one day to rest. In the last week of each phase is a recovery week, where you still work out but the program cuts you a little slack and lets your body recover from the hell it has put you through for the prior three weeks.

I am a little intimidated by this program, as it seems pretty intense, lots of people have written to not even try this program if you are just starting working out. Luckily I've been working out the last few months, but am no where near in the shape I want to be. I only hope I can keep up and finally see some meaningful results from working out.

Originally, when my husband ordered this, I thought I would try a tape now and then in addition to my classes at the gym...but my gym went belly up and closed last week....so this is it for now...Could it be fate? Could this be the program I finally stick to and get myself back in some sort of shape that I can be remotely proud of?

I'm about to sit down and watch the introduction DVD now. Tomorrow morning its GO TIME....and we are starting with workout number one. Then off to grocery store to buy all the food I'm ALLOWED to have.

I'll keep you up to date...and maybe, just maybe, I'll get up the guts to post my "before" picture...But don't count on it!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You can do it!!! I'll be checking in to make sure you are staying on track.